Saturday 2 June 2018

Sailing!

I've had several outings on the punt under paddle power now, but really needed to get it sailing.
So, today, Saturday 2nd June 2018, I went down to the sailing club to do a trial fit of an Optimist rig, borrowed from the club
 I'd guessed that I'd have to fit some attachment points for various ropes/lines, and Adrian Goulding ( a club member and sailing guru, in my eyes at least) was there to help.
Punt, sitting on its kayak trolley with an optimist rig 'plugged in'
Don't have any wooden pins to lever the paddle against for steering, also no means of holding the mast down in the event of a capsize, but several club members advised me to 'just go for it'.
My kind of risk assessment.
So I rolled her into the water and had a go! Very gentle breeze, so not as foolhardy as it sounds.
The Shefford Duck Punt has finally moved under sail power. Only just, but I got across the lagoon (and more importantly, got back again).
Rig fitted, Floating...

Can't say I was bowled over by the speed under sail, but I didn't capsize and started to learn about the importance of fore/aft balance. Where you sit/lie down in this boat makes a huge difference to how well you can control it.

No comments:

Post a Comment